Usually, when you get into an accident when at work, you simply get worker’s compensation. However, if you slip and fall in the parking lot of your workplace you will have to file a personal injury suit.
The incident doesn’t fall under worker’s comp since you were not officially working or in other words ‘on the clock.’ Therefore, you will have to consult a personal injury lawyer to help you as long as you aren’t to blame. For you to get compensation in a slip and fall case, then there needs to be negligence by your employers.
How to Prove Fault for Slip and Fall Lugoff, SC Lawsuit
If you happen to slip, fall and injure yourself at the parking lot after hours, then your employer isn’t directly liable. However, there are other ways to prove liability in a personal injury case such as:
- If your Lugoff, SC slip was caused by ice that was their responsibility to remove.
- Some holes in the parking lot caused the slip and fall yet, it was their responsibility to take care of them.
- The ground was slippery due to negligence by your employers.
- There was poor lighting in the area that made it difficult for you to see leading to your fall.
- The employers were aware of all the causing factors.
What to Do After a Slip and Fall
It is important to act fast after you slip if you want full compensation for your injuries and other damages. Here is what you have to do:
Get Your Lugoff, SC Personal Injury Lawyers to File a Suit
Due to the statute of limitations, you only have up to three years to file a suit for Lugoff, SC compensation. It is for this reason that you need to file as soon as you can so as to avoid penalties. If you are not in a position to do it yourself, your lawyer should be able to on your behalf. This is one of the reasons that you need an excellent attorney to guide you.
In case you do not file the slip and fall suit within the limited time, then you can bid your compensation farewell. This is since it may not go through even if you file the lawsuit. There are a number of situations where you may have some more time to file. Your Lugoff, SC personal injury attorney will advise accordingly on whether or not you may have that allowance.
Gather Evidence of Neglect
You need to prove the neglect of your employers that led to your accident. You need as much evidence as possible and proof that your employers were responsible for taking care of the parking lot. There needs to be no suspicion about your own neglect which may have caused the incident so make sure there is none. Some of the factors that may lead you to be at fault for the slip and fall accident include:
- If you were under the influence of drugs or alcohol. It means that you also suffered from vision and thinking impairment, leading to your slip and fall.
- If there were signs warning about the cause of your accident but you ignored them. Such as a sign includes warning about a slippery floor or ice on the ground.
- If you were careless when you were walking, or you were playing around at the time of your accident.
If your employers are able to prove any of these, then it is unlikely that you will win the case.
Account for Your Losses
For you to get Lugoff, SC slip and fall compensation you need to have a summary of the losses that you have suffered. These can be medical expenses, surgery, loss of limb, loss of enjoyment, loss of wages and others. In some cases, you may get punitive damages if the court finds the negligence of your employers worth punishing. However, for that, you need a superb personal injury lawyer to present your case.
Lugoff, SC personal injury cases require careful planning and analysis to ensure the best possible solution for your case. Our team at The Connell Law Firm works to provide the best legal advice for anyone in a slip and fall case. We have handled many such cases and through past experiences, we are in a position to offer the best legal advice.