Attorney J. Benjamin Connell
J. Benjamin Connell
Previous Professional Experience
- Associate attorney with Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP, South Carolina, 2011-13.
- Summer Associate, King & Spalding LLP, New York City, 2009
- Summer Associate, Bland Richter LLP, South Carolina, 2009
- Handled federal jury trial regarding Constitutional violations under the Eigth Amendment.
- Obtained summary judgement for luxury home builder in state court action involving catastropic roof fall.
- Has experience defending multinational recreational vehicle manufacturrer regarding products liability claims.
- Has business experience, having engaged in multiple entrepreneurial ventures.
- Judicial extern for the Honorable W. Earl Britt, U.S. District Judge, Eastern District of North Carolina in Raleigh, N.C. (Spring 2010).
Awards and Honors
- Recipient, Kehaya leadership award
- Team Captain, Wrestling, UNC-Chapel Hill
- National Wrestling Hall of Fame
- Kershaw County Councilman District Three
- Past President, Kershaw County Bar Association
- Board Member, Kershaw County Public Facilites Corporation
- Charleston School of Law, Adjunct Professor - Legal Research, Writing & Analysis, 2013
- Past Performer, Charleston Men's Chorus
- Performer, Renaissance Vocal Group
- Performs solo patriotic pieces for various events throughout South Carolina
- Served as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Boston, Massachusetts
- South Carolina
- United States Count of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States District Court, South Carolina
- University of North Carolina School of Law at Chapel Hill, N.C., Juris Doctor (2010)
- Managing Editor, North Carolina First Amendment Law Review
- Served as a Defense Counsel on the UNC Honor Court
- LEAP Honors Scholar
- Received the Gressman-Politt Award for Outstanding Oral Advocacy, Best Overall; an Honor Certificate for Highest Grade in Legal Writing and Oral Advocacy; and the James E., JR., and Carolyn B. Davis scholarship.
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Kenan-Flagler Business School, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration and Economics (double major, 2007)
- Received Jimm Garrell-Tabor City Award for Excellence in Community Service.
Areas of Law
- Business Law & Defense
- Workers Compensation
- Nursing Home Abuse
- Auto, Motorcycles, and Trucking Accidents
- Personal Injury
- Civil Litigation
- Products Liability & Defense
Awards & Accolades
- Star of the Quarter - South Carolina Bar - Young Lawyers Division
- Selected to participate in South Carolina Bar Leadership Academy for Young Lawyers Division 2014-2015