A lot of us have been in minor car accidents before. We talk to the other driver, shake our heads a few times, and go about our business. We don’t call the police, we don’t seek medical treatment, and think we’re fine. Days later, we realize we’re not okay at all. This is why it’s really important that you have a medical exam after a car accident. This is true whether you think you’re hurt or not!
There are a few reasons for this. First, you need to make sure you’re okay. There is no way for you to know whether you’re okay or not. You’re not a doctor. You have no idea if you’ve suffered internal injuries. So, as much as it’s an inconvenience, take a trip to the emergency room and get checked out. The doctors there can perform the necessary tests to see if you’re injured or not.
The second reason you need to get a medical exam is for documentation purposes. If you don’t get a doctor to confirm your injuries, you are going to run into issues later on. Your car accident attorney in Lugoff is going to need to be able to prove that you were hurt. He can’t do this if you don’t get a medical exam.
Your Lugoff, South Carolina Car Accident Attorney Will Need Documentation of Your Injuries
If you’re involved in a car accident, you’re going to need a car accident attorney. And, your car accident attorney will need proof that you were injured. The best way to do this is with a medical exam. This exam needs to be done immediately following a car accident. Don’t go the next day or a week later. There are too many issues that you can run into if you don’t go to the hospital right away.
If you don’t get a medical exam right after your accident, you are going to encounter the following problems:
- The insurance company will deny you were injured
- They will claim the injuries were caused by something other than the accident
- Your car accident attorney will have a hard time proving the extent of your injuries
- Your damages will be hard if not impossible to prove without medical documentation
For all of these reasons, you are going to need a medical exam immediately following any car accident. Even if you think you aren’t hurt, you need to get checked out. You may have suffered injuries that are impossible to detect without the necessary tests, including:
- Internal injuries
- Traumatic brain injury
- Internal bleeding
- Impaired hearing or vision
- Back injuries
- Head injuries
In order to make sure you’re really okay, you need to be medically cleared by a doctor.
How Can a Lugoff, SC Auto Accident Lawyer Help?
If you’ve been in a car accident, you need to retain a Lugoff auto accident attorney. He can help you file a claim against the other driver’s insurance. This needs to be done within a few days of the accident. If you don’t file it in time, your claim will be denied. It will also be denied if it’s not filed properly. You should rely on the skills of an experienced auto accident attorney to help you do this.
Your auto accident attorney is going to work hard to make sure you are compensated for your injuries. Depending on how severe the accident, you may be entitled to the following damages:
- Medical bills – you are entitled to compensation for past, present and future medical bills
- Lost wages – if you missed time from work due to the accident, you should be reimbursed for this.
- Damage to your vehicle – If your car was damaged or destroyed in the accident, the other driver needs to pay
- Pain and suffering – depending on how serious your injuries were, you may be entitled to pain and suffering.
Your auto accident attorney in Lugoff will make sure you get the compensation you deserve.
Contact a Lugoff Car Accident Attorney Today
If you’ve been injured in a car accident in South Carolina, you need to contact a Lugoff car accident attorney. Your lawyer will help you through the insurance process. They’ll also help you file a lawsuit if the insurance company refuses to pay your claim. Contact an office today to schedule your free initial consultation. Remember to bring the following to your first meeting with your lawyer:
- Police or accident report
- Contact information for witnesses
- Medical records
- Copies of medical bills
- Proof of damage to vehicle
- Pictures of accident scene and injuries
The consultation is free. And remember, you pay nothing until you win your case!