If you’re hurt in a drunk driving accident, you’re going to be upset and more than a little bit angry. There is absolutely no reason why anyone should ever drink and get behind the wheel. To know that people do that in this day of ride shares is more than frustrating.
Drunk driving accidents can be deadly. If you’re lucky, you’ll escape with serious injuries. You may need surgery and physical therapy to overcome these injuries. You may be out of work for quite some time. You may even become permanently disabled.
Someone needs to be held accountable for these injuries. Obviously, you’ll want to pursue the other driver. However, there are more people that could be held responsible for the accident.
Some of these parties includes:
- Any other drivers involved in the accident
- The bar where the driver was drinking
- A restaurant or club for over-serving him
- A hotel or casino valet who gave the driver his car keys
These people can be held vicariously liable for what the other driver did. You can’t over-serve someone knowing he may get on the road and kill someone.
Your Car Accident Attorney in Columbia, South Carolina Will Get You Damages
If you’re injured in a drunk driving accident, you’re entitled to certain compensation. Your car accident attorney in Columbia is going to fight to get you the money you deserve. Your initial claim will make a demand for damages. Some of these damages will include:
- Medical bills – You are entitled to recover any medical bills caused by the accident. This could include your hospital visit and the tests they perform. It also includes doctor visits and physical therapy. It may include out of pocket costs for prescriptions. It can also include any future medical bills you may incur. Your car accident attorney in Columbia will have experts testify as to how much these future medical bills may be.
- Lost wages – Chances are, if you’re in a car accident, you’re going to miss time from work. If this is more than a couple of weeks, you should be entitled to recover these wages. Your lawyer will submit time sheets and even tax returns to show what you would have earned had it not been for the car accident.
- Property damage – If your car is damaged or destroyed in the accident, you can demand that you be reimbursed for this. If this is covered by your insurance claim, you can’t demand that the defendant reimburse you for this as well.
- Pain and Suffering – These are the non-economic types of damages. It includes the pain and anxiety caused by the accident. Your lawyer will have to prove these separately in court.
More than likely, the defendant will settle your case out of court. Nobody wants to go through the time and expense of a trial. Once the defendant knows what kind of money you’re asking for, they’ll know what they’re willing to settle for.
Your Accident Attorney in Columbia, SC May Demand Pain and Suffering
Drunk driving accidents tend to cause very serious injuries. This is because of the recklessness involved. The person drinking and driving don’t care who they hurt. If they did, they wouldn’t have gotten behind the wheel.
If your injuries cause a lot of pain, you should be compensated for it. You should also be compensated for your suffering. These are the damages that can’t be proved with a receipt. There are certain things that help determine what kind of pain and suffering you deserve, including:
- The extent of your physical injuries
- How long you were out of work
- Whether you can still play sports you played before the accident
- Are you able to engage in social activities like you used to?
- How long did your physical recovery take?
- Did you suffer any mental or emotional stress as a result of the accident?
Your car accident attorney in Columbia will demand that the defendants be held accountable.
Contact an Accident Attorney in Columbia, South Carolina Today
If you or a loved one have been hurt in a drunk driving accident, you need to call an accident attorney in Columbia. The person responsible for your accident needs to be held accountable. This could be the other driver or any other number of people.
Call and schedule a consultation with an accident attorney in Columbia today. You can sit down and talk with an experienced attorney about your case. The consultation is free and you pay nothing until you settle your case.